Thursday, February 7, 2008

False sense of security leads many users to break company policies - Dark Reading

False sense of security leads many users to break company policies - Dark Reading

Internet Security achieves top scores in anti-malware testing - Livemint

Microsoft Windows Server 2008
I've just finished downloading Windows Server 2008 RTM from Connect. You will notice that MSDN and Technet only have the 64 bit version, while Connect lists all versions but only for the next 30 days.

It took only 29 minutes to download Windows Server 2008 32 bit. I am now going to use this to upgrade the test environment on a virtual machine. This is in preparation for the migration of our Geekzone production server from Windows Server 2008 RC1 to RTM.

We have been running Windows Server 2008 RC1 on Geekzone for almost three months now as part of an early adopters programme with Microsoft. The experience couldn't have been better.

During this time we had only a couple of updates installed, only one restart because of this and installed a second drive to mirror the system. Modifying the drive to a dynamic partition and creating the mirror did not require a restart (as I remember it needed on Windows Server 2003) and all completed ok.

I have heard comments from Geekzone users on how they feel the site has been more responsive in the last few month - and I've noticed this too.

If you want to find out more about Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 check the Summer Road Trip.

As for Windows Vista SP1... I am waiting for it to be available for download, ready to install on my laptop.



Windows Server 2008 Installation Walkthrough
I installed Windows Server 2008 in my Virtual PC hosted in my Vista Ultimate. Here is an walkthrough of the installation options and steps. One thing to note is that I did not enter Product Key and thus was taken to the screen of selecting which edition I want to install.

Another change I noticed from the Beta releases (I havent tried RC) is that the Administrator account was not given a password and we had to manually set it, but now, after installation, the first thing you are supposed to do is to set your Administrator account password Laughing



Spend $2.00, get $3.58 back!
I brought some Nestle candy bars at my local supermarket (won't say who), and got 2 Kit Kat Chunky Bars for $2.00.

Because Nestle is having the 'Free iTunes song' promotion, I actually got $3.58 worth of songs back, meaning I got an extra $1.58 worth of value!

Let the advantage-taking begin!



Another music subscription service collapses
Yahoo! Music Unlimited will be shut down in "the first half" of this year. Yahoo! Music site will still remain, but subscribers will be shifted on to RealNetworks' Rhapsody music service.

Now how many of these poorly executed music services have collapsed?

[Via Engadget]



Instant Viewer with Microsoft Presenter 8000 Mouse !

Everyone likes the Apple Mac’s Expose feature and wondered why Vista didn’t bring it on along with Windows Flip 3D :D

Well, today I found a function with my Microsoft Notebook Presenter 8000 Mouse that there is a function called Instant Viewer that does the same thing and you can bind any one of the mouse buttons to it (Thanks to David ;) )! It works great and looks great! Wonder why this isn’t present by default in Windows Vista :(

Here is a screenshot,

instant-viewer.png
(Click for full view)

8)



Malware Growth Exponential in 2007
According to 'F-Secure's IT Security Threat Summary for H2 2007:Bulk Amounts of Malware, Storm, Apple, and Databases' report, there were as many new malware samples detected in 2007 as there...

At Your Service: Long distance photo service is difficult to hang ... - Kansas City Star

The end of domain tasting?
One week ago there was a rumour in the blogosphere that Google would no longer allow domain names less than five days old to be monetised using Google Adsense for Domains. Just a few days later ICANN announced that they are reviewing a proposal to c... (more in the full post)



Poll Results: XP Beats Vista 3-to-1
Last week I posted a poll asking What's In Your PC? I wanted to find out what operating systems are being used by the readers of this site. We had...

No comments: