Saturday, February 9, 2008

Caveat Emptor ("Let The Buyer Beware")

Caveat Emptor ("Let The Buyer Beware")
Have you ever made a purchase that you ended up regretting? That was rhetorical. Of course you have. What is more frustrating is when you have done your homework, and...

eeeXubuntu booting great from SDHC on Asus eeePC
I blew away XP on my eeePC and restored the original Xandros - great little OS in Easy Mode with iceWM. I also enabled advanced mode (a full KDE desktop) using pimpmyeee.sh (Google it - its a no-brainer quick way to enabled KDE). You can switch back ... (more in the full post)



Microsoft to hold Vista SP1 release for six weeks
Users won't get a crack at it until mid-March at the earliest, says Microsoft

Spammers' bot cracks Microsoft's CAPTCHA
The bot grabs the CAPTCHA and sends it back to the spammer's server, where the image is somehow "read" and a clear text match generated, says researcher

Windows Server 2008 Edition Feature Differences
So, now that Windows Server 2008 is released, what editions are available?

Here they are,

1) Windows Server 2008 Web

2) Windows Server 2008 Standard

3) Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

4) Windows Server 2008 Datacenter

And there is also an version for Itanium based systems.

Below is a comparison chart,

ws2008-feature-differences.png
(Click to enlarge)



iPod touch bug
Yes... there is a data leak that just happens (I've experienced it 5 times already.) Video podcast of the Macworld 2008 leaked into my list of songs... weird. To this point, I've been unsuccessful in reproducing this. This is confirmed as a 'intended' function, but I sure didn't place it in my favourite playlist, which made me think this is a leak. It comes and goes and also temporarily screws up my playlist as well. Can't watch this video? Click here.



My iPod Touch 1.1.3 Jailbroken Gallery
Here are some shots of my Jailbroken iPod Touch running 1.1.3 after using the iJailbreak method I posted about the other day.

Springboard


(Click the image to get to the gallery)

  • Summerboard is now working
  • Installer 'Main script execution failed' problem has been solved by doing this in SSH
    cd /
    cd Applications/
    wget http://repository.apptapp.com/packages/System/Installer.zip
    rm -rf Installer.app
    unzip Installer.zip
    chmod +s Installer.app/Installer
    chown -R root:wheel Installer.app
    rm Installer.zip
    This downloads the latest installer.app. I fixed mine another way, by setting the correct permissions via ssh then updating installer within installer.
  • Runs very well.
  • Maps, Mail, Webclips, lyrics, Weather...etc All run perfectly


No comments: