Friday, August 29, 2008

New licensing from Microsoft: Now you are only half shafted!

New licensing from Microsoft: Now you are only half shafted!
Microsoft treats us today to some new and improved (TM) licensing: Apparently, it is now allowed to move some server installations around a data center. Mind you, it was also technically possible before (because that's what you can do with collection... (more in the full post)



The Trouble with Orcon

I note that many people are reading my blog about Orcon and the trouble I have had since I signed up, so I feel obliged to give you an update.

Things have improved to some degree, I frequently have days where my connection only drops out 1 or 2 times, but I am still experiencing dropouts, disconnections this week:

  • Saturday 16
  • Sunday 31
  • Monday 27

I also noted that people have found me when searching about the 2 for 1 movie tickets for a year that were promised as part of the connection deal. Well I signed up 4 months ago and still haven’t seen them. If they do arrive, I hope they will still be valid for 12 months and not the remainder of the year. But at this stage I’m not holding my breath on ever seeing them.

I don’t know if it is because of the interleaving, but our Caller ID doesn’t work on the phone about 50% of the time, which is annoying.

My wife wants me to go back to Telecom and thinks I’m an idiot for putting up with Orcon’s poor service. As a footnote, Orcon did come up with a $100 credit for my troubles. Funny thing is that a couple of weeks ago, even though my payment is made automatically by direct credit from my American Express Card, and I had the $100 credit, I got an email saying that my account was overdue and asking me to do something about it urgently. I was tempted to send one back saying that their service was overdue and could they give me a reliable connection urgently.

So, the bottom line? Still having plenty of disconnections, no 2 for 1 movie tickets as promised, intermittent caller id and no satisfaction. Should I be calling Fair Go?



Follow me on Twitter
I have (finally) just got my act together with Twitter.

Its something I avoided for a long time, treating it as a bit of a gimmick, but now, having used it for only a short time, I subscribe to the notion that its like a chat room, but inste... (more in the full post)


No comments: