Monday, August 25, 2008

GNU/Linux popularity around the world

GNU/Linux popularity around the world
Pingdom has produced a nice article about the popularity of GNU/Linux around the world. They did that by using Google's search insight, and show maps for the popularity of Linux in general, as well as various distributions.

For example, here... (more in the full post)



New Zealand's national broadcaster (TVNZ) discriminating against non-Windows users?
Update: It seems that using the gxine plugin, it is possible to view those video streams on Ubuntu anyway. Some people at least got it to work using Epiphany. I can confirm that this does work, but for some reason, it won't work for me with Firefox. ... (more in the full post)



Dell Mini Note - Asus EEE PC killer?
On the Gizmodo web site there are now some more photos and full specs available about the upcoming Dell Mini Note. Officially, Dell calls this system the 'Dell Inspiron 910'. It comes with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor, 1024x600 screen, built-in web... (more in the full post)



The Trouble with Orcon

I note that many people are reading my blog about Orcon and the trouble I have had since I signed up, so I feel obliged to give you an update.

Things have improved to some degree, I frequently have days where my connection only drops out 1 or 2 times, but I am still experiencing dropouts, disconnections this week:

  • Saturday 16
  • Sunday 31
  • Monday 27

I also noted that people have found me when searching about the 2 for 1 movie tickets for a year that were promised as part of the connection deal. Well I signed up 4 months ago and still haven’t seen them. If they do arrive, I hope they will still be valid for 12 months and not the remainder of the year. But at this stage I’m not holding my breath on ever seeing them.

I don’t know if it is because of the interleaving, but our Caller ID doesn’t work on the phone about 50% of the time, which is annoying.

My wife wants me to go back to Telecom and thinks I’m an idiot for putting up with Orcon’s poor service. As a footnote, Orcon did come up with a $100 credit for my troubles. Funny thing is that a couple of weeks ago, even though my payment is made automatically by direct credit from my American Express Card, and I had the $100 credit, I got an email saying that my account was overdue and asking me to do something about it urgently. I was tempted to send one back saying that their service was overdue and could they give me a reliable connection urgently.

So, the bottom line? Still having plenty of disconnections, no 2 for 1 movie tickets as promised, intermittent caller id and no satisfaction. Should I be calling Fair Go?


No comments: