Friday, August 1, 2008

IDP Announces The Release Of Its Latest Internet Security Offering - PR-USA.net (press release)

Read More

ok.. This is a follow up to my last blog entry.

I first bought the Sony CyberShot DSC-W110. I was told it had features that it didn't such as editing photos within the camera etc. so I took it back today and went up a level (or two) to the Cybershot DSC-W150. Also I was offered a slight discount as I was misinformed the first time, obviously I accepted. Thanks Harvey Norman!

One thing I did notice about the W150 (after only having it a short time) is that im able to put the memory stick straight into my laptop to retrieve photos. When I tried this with the W110 it said i would have to format the memory stick, maybe I did something wrong the first time, I dont know. 

I would really appreciate any comments on using this camera and making the most of its features.

Im not going to do an unboxing of this camera as it looks alot like the W110 and comes with the same accessories. But heres a photo of the camera.. from google.

Read More

Flash has been making progress against legacy desktop applications, says Adobe manager Read More

My grief began when we got our D-Link DSL-504T router... back then, ADSL2+ was starting to become widespread news. It didn't matter too much to me at that stage.

Then I find out that we're going to be on hold for ADSL2+ support, even though support is available through a firmware upgrade we're still waiting for!

Then life goes on and we needed wireless (lappie, iPod...). My mum bought a WRT54G last year to compliment our router. Well, I knew that performance wasn't going to be as good as Ethernet, but.... I had 2mbps over Wi-Fi standing right next to the router!!! Cry

I looked online, found out that other 3rd party firmwares exist for our WRT54G... all but for v7.

... and you guessed it - we got a v7. Not a v7.2, but a v7.


Damn.


I even used the Ethernet connection coming out of the WRT54G, and it was only slightly better (I got 3mbps... Cry)

Now with such a shambles of a network we have at our house, no wonder we're not progressing our Internet capabilities to the maximum, and our investment is now nearly useless.

Wish I could sell them all... except that I don't own the gear... my mum does - and she's not up for ADSL2+ and doesn't care. Yell


If I got to manage our gear, I would sell them and get something like a RTA1025W (or anything good for ADSL2+ and provides a respectable speed over Wi-Fi)


[Envies everyone else with a better networking system than me]

Read More



Thought I'd start of a list of places you can rent Blu-ray High Def discs. If anyone knows of any others then let me know & I'll add them to the list.

Making this list brings back memories of just over 10 years ago when they started renting out DVD's in N.Z. Myself & a mate started a web site (nzht.co.nz - NZ Home Theater, which is long gone) listing the stores renting discs. The web site grew pretty quickly to include DVD news, links and a very busy for sale page (before trademe was around). We also ended up selling new DVDs, doing region mod's (multizone) on DVD players (including players for most major chain stores) & organising DVD Swap Meets.
Those were the days......importing DVDs from the States at half the price we were importing Laser Discs for & the picture quality was better.
Props have to go out to the guys who started Viewmaster in Grey Lynn. They were importing hundreds of Region 1 (USA) DVDs for rental when hardly any one else had any & there was nothing on Region 4 (NZ/Aust).

Anyway, back to the present & the poor state of Blu-Ray rentals in NZ.......well I suppose there is at least a few of these guys doing a good job of things



Link to Civic Video Stores
Link to United Video Stores
Link to Video Ezy Stores


Auckland

Blockbuster Highland Park - 20 titles (as of 6/2/08)
Blockbuster Birkenhead - 'a couple' (as of 6/2/08)

Civic Video Mt Eden - 50-60 titles Laughing(as of 25/4/08)
Civic Video Grey Lynn - 50-60 titles (as of 29/6/08)
Civic Video Ponsonby - 18 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Civic Video Mt Albert - 2 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Civic Video Browns Bay - 'got their first few BD's' (as of 30/04/08)


United Video Westgate - 'small selection' (as of 4/2/08)
United Video Mt Roskill - 35 titles (as of 26/7/08)

Video Ezy Royal Oak - 33 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Ponsonby - 20 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Mt Roskill - 4 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Mt Eden - 2 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Lynfield - ~50 titles (as of 15/5/08)

It seems that Video Ezy only have Sony titles at the moment. Sounds like they get them cheap with some kind of profit sharing deal.


Wellington

Civic Video in Kelburn (as of 25-4-08)
Video Ezy Ghuznee Street - 'have a reasonable range' (as of 25-4-08)


Dunedin
Video Ezy South Dunedin - 30 (as of 26-4-08)

Christchurch
Alive in videoland - ~50 (as of 28-4-08)


Online
http://www.movieshack.co.nz - ~200 (as of 24/4/08)
www.dvdunlimited.co.nz - 107 titles (as of 24/4/08)
http://fatso.co.nz/ - ~50 titles (as of 24/4/08)

Read More

I have been watching this a few times as so much of it makes scene. I like how he displays a learning system, that with time/more samples it get better. I found this inspiring in regards to some concepts I have been learning, regarding the design of expert systems for (tag cloud)/categorisation development of forums.

Read More

Fixed-price deal wins high-profile business Read More

General User Licence regime to be established Read More

Sometimes we come across a vendor's marketing claims that are clearly bogus and we just shrug those off. But if the claim itself is expressed with very well established terminology and with a specific mathematical precision then we are normally not e... (more in the full post)

Read More

Irish language enthusiasts are challenging Cuil.com's definition of the word cuil to mean knowledge Read More

No comments: