Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Update on a Crowd Sourcing experiment

During the early hours of Saturday morning I initiated an experiment in Crowd Sourcing at crowdSpring.com. Read my previous blog entry for the details.

I am pleased to report that in less than five days I have received 96 entries. I'm stagge... (more in the full post)

Read More

So after a relatively painfree experience with an Orcon Homehub at work I decided to get one for home.
My main motivation was my wondering if my DLink DSL-502T & a WRT54G modded to run DD-WRT were causing double NAT issues and resulting in slow connections/torrents. You would imagine an all in one solution would at least half the possible causes for slow speeds. And since upgrading so far so good - more green lights than amber in Azureus/Vuze.

But as I've come to get used to the Homehub, I was hoping to get a feature of Leopard/MobileMe working - Back to My Mac.
The general use is to setup a zero configuration VPN between your various Macs that aren't all in the same location. If this thing
actually worked it would be an awesome. Remote Desktop/VNC, File Sharing - even Bonjour support all with no complex setup. The problem is it only works in ideal configutations - and most of those are centred around America's cable connections - and not an ADSL setup in NZ.

Back To My Mac - no fun

Back to the Homehub - although offering uPnP, it would seem to be lacking true NAT-PMP support. Via this Apple Discussion, I've found that looks like the same issues but on a BT Homehub (which is in no way the same box as Orcons).

OK, so the problem is that the BT Voyager 2100 only supports the WANPPPConnection service of UPnP, while Apple currently only supports the WANIPConnection service. There's a chance Apple could add WANPPPConnection support in a future release, but until then you're out of luck.
When I used Lighthouse, a dynamic port forwarding utility for OS-X, to give me some indepth info, it reports -
Lighthouse could not associate with the router '192.168.1.1' because of invalid protocol implementations
The router '192.168.1.1' sent invalid responses to Lighthouse's requests to associate with it. This may happen if your router doesn't support NAT/PMP or UPnP (please check its manual) or because their implementation is incomplete. It may help to upgrade your router to its latest firmware version (information on how to do this should also be present in the router's manual).

So my options would be to loose the Homehub, replacing it with a NAT-PMP supporting ADSL2+ Modem, ideally that supports Bridge mode - this turns it into a dumb modem that forwards everthing through to your routers WAN port - including login and authentication - and hopefully NAT/uPnP. The I can use my Airport Extreme to get proper NAT-PMP.
I did some reading and it would seem that the newest revision of the DLink DSL-502T does this - look out for Revision C.

Has anyone out there managed to get a bridged modem connection working into their router and if so what gear are you using?

Also - Orcon seem to be shipping a 2nd revision of the Homehub, its still based on a Siemens SX763, the new model has a WPS button on the back to allow for easy Wireless pairing (if you're other gear supports it). The new Homehub also has a Orcon Logo screened on the top and theres no standard Siemens packaging - just a Orcon branded slip around a white box.

 

Read More

The Big Bang is still holding off its illusive secrets for a while long as it was annouced recently there has been more issues delaying the much anticipated collisions in the collider.

Although it was hoped the problem could be resolved quickly, it turns out that unfortunately, it won't be as quickly as hoped.

whilst the anticipated time to fix the problem is tiny compared to how long its taken to get this far - 2 months at least to fix the problem - but we've been waiting in anticipation for this project to complete for 20 years now,

but two months just seems a very long time to all the people waiting for results.

so what was the issue at hand?
Well the symptom was:
<>They had to shut down the LHC when temperatures rose by rought 100°C
causing around 1000kg of liquid helium to leak into the tunnel.

This sounds like a hell of a lot, but you need to remember, your average room temperature of 23°C is roughly 294°c hotter than the temperature they run the LHC at, so when the temperature rose by 100°C it was still pretty chilly in there (around  -171.15 °C)

The LHC runs near absolute zero, absolute Zero is defined as 0 kelvin, with the LHC running at 2 kelvin, which is -273.15 and -271.15 degrees celsius respectively)

The actual problem has not be precisely defined, they anticipate that it was caused by a faulty electrical connection between two magnets that stopped superconducting - then melted, which caused a mechanical failure leading to the helium getting out.

So we'll be waiting a while longer for the really intensive experimentation to begin, that said, if the doomsayers are right, or the scientists get the equivalent of winning (some percentage of all the lottery competitions in the world on the same night that I saw being bandied around as the chances) then we get a couple more months on this Earth.

Although at least if you are in NZ, apparently based on a number of calculations, if the highly unlikely event of a large enough singularity does occur, it'll take a wee while to grow big enough to destroy the planet so we'll get plenty of warning!
Read More

Specific skills limited in Kapiti, says managing director Read More

Opening BLOB from DB as Attachment

Background

·         I'm storing attachments in a Binary Large Object (BLOB) field in a table in a database.

·         I also store the MimeType.

·         I want to open them.

·         I list the attachments for the user to peruse, with a HyperLink under the name.

·         The hyperlink opens a new blank window and redirects to a blank ASPX page.

·         I also pass the Attachment ID to the new page.

·         The ASPX page has a Page_Load event.

·         The Page_Load event gets the record and Binary Writes the byte() to the Response.

·         Also, I envisage that if it was a spreadsheet, I want to launch Excel.

 

Problem Description

·         This works for JPG.

·         But didn't work for a text file.

·         I haven't tried PDF yet, for instance and the text file I chose was a .reg file so that might not have been a wise test!

·         First I get a debug window

·         Second the browser says 'The XML page cannot be displayed'

·         'Invalid at the top level of the document'

 

Problem Resolution

·         Me.Response.AddHeader('Content-Disposition', 'inline;filename=' & fileName)

·         Now the browser asks if I want to run or save the .reg file.

·         I must specify the filename, even though I’m not loading the response from an actual file (but from a Memory Stream).

·         This works for XLS, PDF, and JPG.

·         I haven’t tried ZIP yet.

 

 

Read More

Currently, it uses QSP financials Read More

I'll probably need twice the amount of data now, as I've got twice the speeds!

(20GB has been wearing thin the last few months anyway, using about 30GB a month)

The change this morning stopped incoming calls until some time after 10am (which really disrupted a lot of things!), but also brought at least a 100% increase in my speeds, being 2km from the exchange over the Red network.



Here's a copy of my signature info at the Vodafone forum (also under the same user name):

All speed tests are done @ http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/speedtest/

28/09/2008, 12:42pm, Wholesale, crummy D-Link DSL-504T (Gen I):
Download Speed: 6460 kbps (807.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 783 kbps (97.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 43 ms

29/09/2008, 10:07am, Red network, crummy D-Link DSL-504T (Gen I):
Download Speed: 13640 kbps (1705 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 974 kbps (121.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 25 ms



That was a big increase... could I stretch that further?

Yes I could. Laughing

Got my MT882 modem during lunch time, and got it up in running in no time, and here are my speeds now:

29/09/2008, 1:05pm, Red network, Huawei MT882:
Download Speed: 15247 kbps (1905.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 899 kbps (112.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 23 ms



... and adding a Linksys router on top (to share with 3 PCs):

29/09/2008, 2:05pm, Red network, Huawei MT882 -> WRT54G:
Download Speed: 14898 kbps (1862.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 866 kbps (108.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 28 ms



So the Huawei MT882 does increase the download speed, but cuts down on the upload a little compared to the D-Link DSL-504T, which isn't that much to me.

But all in all, one happy user  (for the next year or so, until everyone around my locality gets even better speeds from cabinetisation)

I've also noticed that my SNR margin has significantly dropped (from 15dB to 6dB), which I'm not too surprised about, but means that I could possibly do a bit better...



Back to the data bit, now that I've got twice the speed, the 20GB offered from the Ultimate pack Red really will be blown to bits! My mum will get really mad when she finds a "80% usage" email this week...
Read More

Kiwicon '08,

things have just kicked off with the first speaker about to start, should be an interesting day,

I'll keep some irregular updates as to whats going on during the day.

the keynote entry "Welcome to all the hackers, crackers, pimps, groupies, fakerz, lawyers, spooks & stoogies turning out for kiwicon '08.

more news to come. info on the con here

going to get off the wireless now before I get all my packets stolen lol!
Read More

I have blogged about this before (it seems like I'm always saying that - just prophetic I guess), but it seems that poor old Transfield are loosing money on their Telecom contracts. See TVNZ news item.

To be honest I'm not surprised, they have been nailed down so much, there can't be any margin in this work, in fact they have admitted they are loosing money on it. A few years ago, when the Telecom patches were being awarded, they must have put in bids so close to their break-even point that there was no room for any variation, and now they're in the smelly brown stuff.

So what are Telecom going to do about it? Two choices; negotiate with Transfield to try and keep them on, and let them actually do business so they can make some money and survive - or give it all to Downers.

Personally, I hope that Transfield stick around and are able to continue with the Telecom patches they have - I think it would be so detrimental to the NZ telecommunications industry if it was just Downers (Don't forget, they have Telecom patches, the TelstraClear SP contract, and the Vodafone maintenance contract - hell, there's not much else out there!!?!)


I can't believe I'm defending Transfield - they are probably the lowest paying SP in the industry. Maybe if they sort things out with Telecom they will address this - yeah right!


Happy days!!

Read More

It's a new letter - and now confirming that I will be on the Red network in 4 days!



... and it also comes with the home phone features guide (which I'm sure I found it in the Vodafone Help
system somewhere before...) - just goes through the new processes with the unbundled home phone product.

I'll post my ADSL sync when I get a new modem (which should be soon) as my D-Link isn't up to ADSL2+ yet.

Hope to still you on the other side! Smile
Read More

According to the Symantec Security Response Blog, a new trojan called Trojan.Eskiuel is going around infiltrating SQL servers and causing havoc:


This time we have found a new SQL threat: Trojan.Eskiuel. The main functionality of this threat is to scan the Internet to find machines with poorly configured SQL servers (i.e. with weak or non-existing passwords), gain access to them, and use their stored procedures in order to download new malware from a remote host.


Check your servers...
Read More

No comments: