Friday, September 19, 2008

Symantec and Lenovo to Offer Norton Internet Security to IdeaPad ... - PR-USA.net (press release)

Read More

One of the most prevalent threats for Web surfers is the cross-site scripting attack. With cross-site scripting, an attacker is able to insert malicious code into otherwise legitimate web pages.... Read More

Vodafone Music Store is Down


So Stuff.co.nz is reporting that as of today/tomorrow Vodafones Music store is about to loose it's DRM laden WMA's for 256k MP3's and not only that but off NZ's first true subscription service (still heavly DRM'd).

Apparently the costs will be the same at $1.99 a track and they don't say wether previous purchases will be able to redownloaded DRM free. I do like the fact they are quoted as saying "...at 256 kilobits per second, which makes them "significantly higher quality'' than those sold by many music download services, including Apples' iTunes" although if you buy an iTunes Plus (AAC DRM free) track you get a 256k Unprotected AAC which is better compression at the same bitrate. Also from what I can tell iTunes is actually cheaper still - $1.79 for a DRM Free track.

For subscription you're looking at $10p.month which certainly offers a sweet spot on pricing but sucks big time by only being available on VMUSIC compatible phones. If it is indeed only available to your phone and only your phone the advantage of subscription seems to go out the window and kids (VMUSICs main market) will just steal music as usual.
Of course theres no mention of iPhone compatibilty for the subscription side of things, but its safe to say it won't work.

No matter what, actually having an option other than iTunes and Amplifier for DRM free music in NZ can only be a good thing.
Read More

Wellington Tweetup starts tonight at 5pm, at the Malthouse http://www.themalthouse.co.nz

I have shouted a few free beers - Epic Pale Ale

More Info

If you go send me a tweet or upload a pic to flickr so I can see what I have missed out on.

Cheers
Luke
http://www.epicbeer.com
Read More

Jesper Johansson, co-author of Windows Vista Security: Securing Vista Against Malicious Attacks, recently wrote an article in The Register which dissects a new type of threat. Anyone with a blog... Read More

I have just noticed the Akamai State of the Internet report Q2 2008 is out now. Interesting stats from around the world - worth reading it.

From a New Zealand perspective here is the only data provided:

- more than 962,000 uniqye IP addresses, a 3.78% increase from Q1 2008, about 0.23 per capita (or about 1 for almost four people here);
- only 2% connected to Akamai servers at 5 Mbps or more - 0.01 "high broadband" per capita;
- 52% connected to Akamai servers at 2 Mbps or more;
- 10% connected at 256 Kbps or less.

Read More

Here we go, for your viewing pleasure:







I like those. Why? Because when Apple launched the "I am a Mac, I am PC" ads they decide to approach the whole game as a battle between stereotypes. They also had no moral problems in comparing the platforms directly. Which is ok, when done by a independent party - not by a company that will of course show some bias.

So the Microsoft "I am a PC" ads are not like that. They don't try to make the competition look bad. Instead they try to show you why you should care.

And yes, I do have Macs here at home too.
Read More



I just read this article over at Venture Beat, and I must say it paints a pretty bleak picture of the XBOX 360 design process. To sum it up, Microsoft cut too many corners, rushed the thing to market and at launch had a failure rate of 68%!!! Yes more 360's were made that just didn't work than actually did - and they just kept on shippin' them.

Fast forward 2 years and after enjoying over a year of flawless play on my flatmates beige model, I finally brought a 360 Elite - I was willing to spend a little more on the Elite as I wanted HDMI, a  black case and theoretically a newer design that would be quieter/more reliable. Fat Chance on that last one. My Elite last 2 weeks until its first crash and then only 2 weeks later it died completely. So for my $800 I got to enjoy 2 weeks of play, 2 weeks of on and off play and then 3 weeks of waiting. Add  the cost of me shipping it to an AKL Airport based address, not a big cost but seriously - I had to pay for something that was not my doing. Interestingly I found it was shipped to Sydney for 'repair'. For that I got a free month of Live Gold - whoppee.

Since the repair I've had no issues thankfully but the more I think about it the more I've gone off Microsoft's console. I'm not rushing out to buy games and theres no way I'm spending $80 a year for Live Gold. Infact I was ever slightly pissed that I couldn't download the Force Unleashed demo when it came out and instead have to wait a week to get it - which is a Gold 'feature'.

Things that are good about my 360 -
It's Black (is this even a feature??)
The controllers are the best weight/layout.

Things that REALLY suck -
Noise from DVD drive
Reliability
Lack of support of true DLNA uPnP - which makes DIVX support more of a gimmick than a usable feature.
Noise from DVD Drive (seriously it's that noisy).
Read More

Have you ever used Microsoft's OneNote? I had heard of it, but I never used it until a few months ago. I love it. It is hard to even define... Read More

No comments: