Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cardboard ideas: Part I (a.k.a. This is as close to an Apple iPod dock I could ever be...)



I don't want to spend $75 on an iPod dock out there... and I only need USB connectivity to sync and charge. So who cares about spending money on a dock, when you only need cardboard?

Materials:
  • Cardboard from a cardboard box
  • Some tape
  • Your iPod dock connector adapter (usually supplied with many iPods out there)
  • Your iPod USB 30-pin dock connector
Unfortunately, because of the lightweight cardboard, you will also need a weight, or Blu-Tac (you can see some of it up there) to hold it firm onto the table (otherwise, you'll find your iPod smashing it's head out hard!)

I'm not for aesthetics - only for practicability, not that beautiful Apple products should come with good looking accessories.

Read More

“Different methods of communication and of identifying users on communication networks will become irrelevant. I use many different methods of electronic communication, including a home phone, a mobile phone, e-mail, instant messaging, video conferencing, online forums and social networking sites and so on. Why should I have to distinguish between these forms of communication and they way they identify their users – why should I have to have an e-mail address, several phone numbers, several usernames of different services – why can users not just have a single user name or number which can be used to reach them however you like? Why should I have to use multiple devices such as a home phone, a cell phone, a computer and a laptop to communicate – why not have one device that can utilise all methods of communication but that comes in many different shapes and sizes – something desk-sized like a computer, something portable and then something pocket-sized. We need to take the focus out of the “how” and turn it more to the “who” and “what” of communications.”

From the section on the future of telecommunications from my thesis (of sorts). Thoughs/feedback welcome/requested Smile

Read More

It took a while, but I'm finally at it - iPod touch 2.0 now jailbroken for me, using WinPwn.



You'll need:
  • WinPwn (2.0.0.3 is what I used, since some bugs were apparently fixed)
  • Your iPod 2.0 restore file (please note that it must be 5A347)
  • iTunes 7.7
  • Some patience
Step 1

Open up WinPwn.

Click "Browse .ipsw" and find your original iPod touch 2.0 restore file.

Step 2

Click "IPSW Builder"

You don't really have to do anything here, but you can select "Install Cydia" if you want it.

Step 3

Click "Build .ipsw", save to a location, and wait a while.

Step 4

Once the whole process is complete, click "iPwner" and click OK to the confirmation message.

Step 5

Open up iTunes, and put your iPod into DFU mode.

I tried to do this a few times, but having a counter on hand is best.
  • Connect iPod to PC
  • Turn off while connected to PC
  • Press Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for exactly 10 seconds. Leave iPod connected.
  • After the 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue to hold the Home button. Leave iPod connected.
  • Windows will now see the "new hardware", and iTunes will give a message that it has found an iPod in recovery mode.
  • Click OK.
Step 6

In iTunes, hold Shift while pressing "Restore".

Find your custom restore file and Restore. And wait for an extremely long time.

Step 7

Afterwards, iTunes may prompt for a backup restore.

It worked for me, but I'm not 100% sure if this affects anything, but if you don't mind, you can set it up completely from scratch.

The restore took around 25 minutes. Maybe it's because of my apps, but expect to wait.


... and now you should have a jailbroken iPod touch with Software 2.0!


There was one problem - Cydia always hangs when downloading or installing software. A hard reset is required. (Hold Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until it shuts down, then start up normally)

Read More

Isn't that incredible that Telecom New Zealand can charge my mobile data usage every month but it can't provide a simple way, other then calling their help desk every day, to follow my usage?

They are able to put a $$$ amount in my monthly bill, but I can't find my usage in data terms (megabytes or gigabytes) anywhere on the invoice or on-line.

They use a very cryptic "data calls" unit that means nothing to me.

Telecom New Zealand makes it really hard for me to control my usage. And they charge dearly if I go over my limits.

Vodafone is a bit better in this area, but their on-line meter is frequently outdated or incorrect according to discussions in our forums.

In Australia the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission issued a warn to consumers regarding mobile data usage.

What about here? TUANZ? Commerce Commission? Anyone awake and aware that we have overpriced data plans?

Read More

Yesterday I posted about Telecom New Zealand's lack of a "meter" for their mobile data. Here is something that I thought would illustrate the issue well...

Let's say you rent a car on a monthly basis, for work. You agree to pay $49.95 a month if you drive up to 1,000 km per billing cycle, and $1 per km after this.

You decided on 1,000 km because you thought this could cover your average daily usage multiplied by the number of days in the month.

You get the car and notice there is no meter in it, but the rental agency tells you it's ok, they are monitoring it within their system, remotely.

You drive away. During 30 days you have no exact idea of how many kms you've done. You have to keep calling the company to find out how many kms you have driven so far, and calculate to see if you are still within the expected average.

Then you receive the monthly bill. You look through five pages for something that says "kms driven this month", but instead you find "times you started the car this month". And a charge for the rental.

Does it make sense?

No. Neither does Telecom New Zealand's "data sessions" line in the bill. They don't tell us how many megabytes or gigabytes we used during the month, only how many times we used it during the period.

Telecom, are you going to fix your systems?

Read More

Have you ever used Microsoft's OneNote? I had heard of it, but I never used it until a few months ago. I love it. It is hard to even define... Read More

No comments: