Thursday, July 31, 2008

Norton Internet Security 2009 beta hits the accelerator - Computerworld

Norton Internet Security 2009 beta hits the accelerator - Computerworld

Security Vendors Embrace Application Whitelisting - eWeek

Dedicated Internet Security Researchers Worldwide Band Together in ... - 華富財經

Cardboard ideas: Part I (a.k.a. This is as close to an Apple iPod dock I could ever be...)


I don't want to spend $75 on an iPod dock out there... and I only need USB connectivity to sync and charge. So who cares about spending money on a dock, when you only need cardboard?

Materials:
  • Cardboard from a cardboard box
  • Some tape
  • Your iPod dock connector adapter (usually supplied with many iPods out there)
  • Your iPod USB 30-pin dock connector
Unfortunately, because of the lightweight cardboard, you will also need a weight, or Blu-Tac (you can see some of it up there) to hold it firm onto the table (otherwise, you'll find your iPod smashing it's head out hard!)

I'm not for aesthetics - only for practicability, not that beautiful Apple products should come with good looking accessories.



The Windows Mojave experiment results
Yesterday I posted about Microsoft Windows Mojave, an experiement in perception.

A set of people were asked what they think is bad on Windows Vista during the Mojave Experiment. Their answers were recorded.  They were then shown "Microsoft Windows Mojave", a new operating system that impressed everyone.

Microsoft then revealed "Windows Mojave" and "Windows Vista" are the same one.

I have just found out the full "Mojave Experiment" results will be available 29th July on The Mojave Experiment website.



With Security at Risk, a Push to Patch the Web - New York Times

Microsoft Windows Mojave
So you complain about Windows Vista but actually never used it? Maybe what you need is Microsoft Windows Mojave.

In summary, a set of people were asked what they think is bad on Windows Vista. Their answers were recorded.  They were then shown "Microsoft Windows Mojave".

One of the subjects in the study even said "Wow", the word Microsoft used in the "The wow starts now" campaign for Windows Vista.

Microsoft then revealed "Windows Mojave" and "Windows Vista" are the same one.

I know a lot of Linux and Mac OS X users who bash Windows Vista without ever having touch a computer running the OS. How can they "know" so much? Or perhaps they don't.

Isn't this a big perception problem?

All the details here.

UPDATE: The Mojave Experiment results are coming on-line!



Checking your mobile data usage online is not easy
Isn't that incredible that Telecom New Zealand can charge my mobile data usage every month but it can't provide a simple way, other then calling their help desk every day, to follow my usage?

They are able to put a $$$ amount in my monthly bill, but I can't find my usage in data terms (megabytes or gigabytes) anywhere on the invoice or on-line.

They use a very cryptic "data calls" unit that means nothing to me.

Telecom New Zealand makes it really hard for me to control my usage. And they charge dearly if I go over my limits.

Vodafone is a bit better in this area, but their on-line meter is frequently outdated or incorrect according to discussions in our forums.

In Australia the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission issued a warn to consumers regarding mobile data usage.

What about here? TUANZ? Commerce Commission? Anyone awake and aware that we have overpriced data plans?


No comments: