Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Multiple Vendors Vulnerable to DNS Cache Poisoning

Multiple Vendors Vulnerable to DNS Cache Poisoning
Multiple vendor DNS protocol implementations could allow a remote attacker to poison the DNS cache.  Patches that resolve the vulnerability on the DNS may be rendered ineffective if the DNS is behind a NAT device that does not randomize ports. Public exploit code was made available on July 24, 2008.  At the time of this update, neither X-Force nor IBM MSS has witness any active exploitation nor the integration of this exploit into any exploit toolkits.

DNS Internet Security Flaw Runs Rampant - Ontario Now

"100% availability" doesn't mean what you think it does anymore
Sometimes we come across a vendor's marketing claims that are clearly bogus and we just shrug those off. But if the claim itself is expressed with very well established terminology and with a specific mathematical precision then we are normally not e... (more in the full post)



Blu-ray Rentals in N.Z


Thought I'd start of a list of places you can rent Blu-ray High Def discs. If anyone knows of any others then let me know & I'll add them to the list.

Making this list brings back memories of just over 10 years ago when they started renting out DVD's in N.Z. Myself & a mate started a web site (nzht.co.nz - NZ Home Theater, which is long gone) listing the stores renting discs. The web site grew pretty quickly to include DVD news, links and a very busy for sale page (before trademe was around). We also ended up selling new DVDs, doing region mod's (multizone) on DVD players (including players for most major chain stores) & organising DVD Swap Meets.
Those were the days......importing DVDs from the States at half the price we were importing Laser Discs for & the picture quality was better.
Props have to go out to the guys who started Viewmaster in Grey Lynn. They were importing hundreds of Region 1 (USA) DVDs for rental when hardly any one else had any & there was nothing on Region 4 (NZ/Aust).

Anyway, back to the present & the poor state of Blu-Ray rentals in NZ.......well I suppose there is at least a few of these guys doing a good job of things



Link to Civic Video Stores
Link to United Video Stores
Link to Video Ezy Stores


Auckland

Blockbuster Highland Park - 20 titles (as of 6/2/08)
Blockbuster Birkenhead - 'a couple' (as of 6/2/08)

Civic Video Mt Eden - 50-60 titles Laughing(as of 25/4/08)
Civic Video Grey Lynn - 50-60 titles (as of 29/6/08)
Civic Video Ponsonby - 18 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Civic Video Mt Albert - 2 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Civic Video Browns Bay - 'got their first few BD's' (as of 30/04/08)


United Video Westgate - 'small selection' (as of 4/2/08)
United Video Mt Roskill - 35 titles (as of 26/7/08)

Video Ezy Royal Oak - 33 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Ponsonby - 20 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Mt Roskill - 4 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Mt Eden - 2 titles (as of 25/4/08)
Video Ezy Lynfield - ~50 titles (as of 15/5/08)

It seems that Video Ezy only have Sony titles at the moment. Sounds like they get them cheap with some kind of profit sharing deal.


Wellington

Civic Video in Kelburn (as of 25-4-08)
Video Ezy Ghuznee Street - 'have a reasonable range' (as of 25-4-08)


Dunedin
Video Ezy South Dunedin - 30 (as of 26-4-08)

Christchurch
Alive in videoland - ~50 (as of 28-4-08)


Online
http://www.movieshack.co.nz - ~200 (as of 24/4/08)
www.dvdunlimited.co.nz - 107 titles (as of 24/4/08)
http://fatso.co.nz/ - ~50 titles (as of 24/4/08)



Microsoft Dynamics GP Multiple (4) Buffer Overflows
The Microsoft Dynamics GP is vulnerable to four heap and stack-based buffer overflows. A remote attacker could overflow the buffer and execute arbitrary code or gain control of the affected system by sending malicious queries to the Distributed Process Server or Distributed Process Manager.

Cardboard ideas: Part II
< Previous Cardboard idea 

After my previous cardboard idea (which you can view in the link above), here is another:

My laptop needs to be slightly elevated to cool it down, so here is a laptop cooler (unfortunately, not strong enough to be made into a stand)



It even runs on USB power! All I need to plug it into a spare USB port. I stripped this USB plug form the masses of USB extenders that Dick Smith ship with their flash drives (that's that black USB plug)

The fan came from some old PCs, some of which come with the 8cm fans, though it runs at a lesser power as USB right now supplies 5v, the fans run at a nominal voltage of 12v. But they work... to an extent.

Now to make it fire proof...



Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3 rocks!
I wouldn't call myself a gamer & the main reason I bought my PS3 was for Blu Ray but this games rocks! Gameplay, graphics, sound, story......



NEW RESEARCH: Web 2.0 and "Legit" Web Sites Are Latest Playground ... - CNNMoney.com

Jailbreaking iPod touch 2.0 with WinPwn
It took a while, but I'm finally at it - iPod touch 2.0 now jailbroken for me, using WinPwn.



You'll need:
  • WinPwn (2.0.0.3 is what I used, since some bugs were apparently fixed)
  • Your iPod 2.0 restore file (please note that it must be 5A347)
  • iTunes 7.7
  • Some patience
Step 1

Open up WinPwn.

Click "Browse .ipsw" and find your original iPod touch 2.0 restore file.

Step 2

Click "IPSW Builder"

You don't really have to do anything here, but you can select "Install Cydia" if you want it.

Step 3

Click "Build .ipsw", save to a location, and wait a while.

Step 4

Once the whole process is complete, click "iPwner" and click OK to the confirmation message.

Step 5

Open up iTunes, and put your iPod into DFU mode.

I tried to do this a few times, but having a counter on hand is best.
  • Connect iPod to PC
  • Turn off while connected to PC
  • Press Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for exactly 10 seconds. Leave iPod connected.
  • After the 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue to hold the Home button. Leave iPod connected.
  • Windows will now see the "new hardware", and iTunes will give a message that it has found an iPod in recovery mode.
  • Click OK.
Step 6

In iTunes, hold Shift while pressing "Restore".

Find your custom restore file and Restore. And wait for an extremely long time.

Step 7

Afterwards, iTunes may prompt for a backup restore.

It worked for me, but I'm not 100% sure if this affects anything, but if you don't mind, you can set it up completely from scratch.

The restore took around 25 minutes. Maybe it's because of my apps, but expect to wait.


... and now you should have a jailbroken iPod touch with Software 2.0!


There was one problem - Cydia always hangs when downloading or installing software. A hard reset is required. (Hold Sleep/Wake and Home buttons until it shuts down, then start up normally)



Sony CyberShot DSC-W110
Yesterday I purchased a Sony CyberShot DSC-W110 from Harvey Norman, I also had the option to buy a bag and spare battery for only $20! Here are a few photos of what I got..

The Boxes



Everything Unpacked



Camera Front and Back




Ok.. All of these photos were taken by another Sony camera (not the same model as this though) apart from the boxes one which I took with the DSC-W110.

Before walking into Harvey Norman yesterday I knew next to nothing about cameras, I knew how to take photos and that was pretty much it.. So I wanted someone to explain to me different features cameras have like, 3x zoom and 4x zoom - will I notice the difference, if 7.2 mega pixels is any better than 8 mega pixels for all round use and a few other things. What I really wanted to know if I could take photos that would focus on a certain object and make the background blurry, the girl who served me didn't exactly know how to but said they all can do this, I took her word for it. Too be perfectly honest she was absolutely no help to me, she may as well of given me the cabinet keys and let me play with them all (which I did anyway).

I decided on the DSC-W110 because;

A) I like Sony products, Ive used Sony cameras before.
B) I got a bag and battery for $20.
C) This camera didn't feel 'plasticy' like some of the others.
D) All my gadgets are black hence I chose a black camera.

So far I really like this camera and am anxious to explore some of its other features, other than the Auto mode!

I havn't really had a chance to take any decent photos yet but when I do, Ill post a follow up to this blog entry.


No comments: